Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 62nd anniversary on August 24, 2015! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 62 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party in 2013 to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- It's finally football season! We'll cover every varsity Narrows and Giles game, here is the complete 2015 schedule. We have a limited number of sponsor and ad packages available, contact us to get your business or organization inlcuded!
- Our DollarSaver program brings you weekly deals from local businesses with a 50% discount. This week's Half-Price Deal of the Week is Trent's Service Station in Narrows: a $39.50 certificate for an oil change for only $19.75! This deal will go on sale 10 AM Thursday morning, for more details check back often at the WNRV DollarSaver site.
- We're taking the Speaking of Sports show on the road this Spring and Summer! We'll be out at the Pearisburg Community Market with the show one Saturday each month through October: May 2, June 20, July 18, August 15, September 19, and October 17. We broadcast the show live from the Narrows Park for Kid's Fishing Day on May 16 and the Narrows Homecoming Festival on July 4.
- We'll also be out at the Pearisburg Community Market for their Music at the Markets on the third Thursday May-October. We'll be doing some kids interviews 4:30-5:30 PM and then recording the live music 6-8 PM. For August 20, Billy Coteau Cajun Band will provide some great cajun music on the 20th.
- We were on-site at the Smith's Super-Aid Pharmacy 10 Year Celebration on July 31. We played some tunes for the crowd and did a live interview.
- The 13th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention was June 12-13 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport. We were on-site the entire time recording all the music and brought most of it to you live. It was a weekend of great music and fun in Newport!
- Each Saturday in May we selected an Athlete of the Week from both Narrows and Giles high schools. This was sponsored by Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, we announced the winner at 9:45 AM each Saturday during the Speaking of Sports show. They received a $25 gift certificate from Nagel's and an award certificate from WNRV. All the winners are listed (with photo) on the Athlete of the Week page. Here are the program rules.
- We had these New River Valley Jamboree live-in-studio shows so far in 2015 (Saturdays 3-4 PM): Ridgeliners (January 10), Tim Pak (January 17), Indian Run Stringband (January 24), Sharon Stacy (February 4), Little Stony Nighthawks (February 28), Giles Mountain String Band (February 28), Old Man Kelly (April 4), Blue Connection (April 11), the Full Nelsons (April 25), and Sugar Run (May 16).
- We covered 30 regular season basketball games, 5 playoff games, the Giles Senior-Faculty game and the Narrows-Giles Faculty game. Here is the complete 2014 season schedule.
- We had some special guests in the studio on December 30 at 11 AM for a live interview. Christina Martin from Eastern Elementary and Rick Claus from NanoSonic discussing the Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) program in the Giles County schools.
- Previous WNRV DollarSaver Deals of the Week (some still have a few certificates left): Wedgee's Printing and Embroidery in Peterstown, Moda Designs in Pembroke, Trent's Service Station in Narrows, Hometown Restaurant in Peterstown, Hair Doctors in Peterstown, Auto Specialty Care in Narrows, Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, New Kimono Japanese Seafood and Steakhouse in Princeton, A Taste of Memphis BBQ in Princeton, Papa's Pizzeria and Subs in Pearisburg, Danny's Pawn Shop in Christiansburg, the Cellar Restaurant in Blacksburg, Pearl's Petals Flower and Gift in Pembroke, and Queen's Pizza and Subs in Pearisburg.
- We had complete live coverage of the 2014 Narrows Athletic Fund Christmas Basketball Tournament on December 18-10: 8 games over 3 days. Here is the full schedule.
- Our 2014 Giles and Narrows Football Disc is available. This contains our broadcasts of all the Giles and Narrows varsity games, including playoffs, plus the Middle School and JV games between Giles and Narrows. This is a bargain at only $8, contact us to get your copy today.
- The WNRV float participated in the Pembroke, Pearisburg, and Narrows Christmas parades. We won first place in Pembroke!
- We covered every 2014 regular season varsity football game for Narrows and Giles, including the Giles playoff games and the Narrows-Giles 7th/8th Grade and JV games. One game was live each week with the other game recorded and aired the following Saturday. Here is the complete 2014 football schedule.
- On Thursday October 16 we were out at the Grand Opening for Celco Community Credit Union's Pembroke branch. Our live broadcast included 2 interviews.
- WNRV is now available on PemTel channel 2! We're excited about our new partnership with PemTel, this provides PemTel cable subscribers with yet another way to catch all the great music and local sports action on WNRV.