Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 61st anniversary on August 24, 2014! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 61 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party last year to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- Our DollarSaver program brings you weekly deals from local businesses with a 50% discount. This week's Half-Price Deal of the Week is Danny's Pawn Shop in Christiansburg: a $25 certificate for only $12.50 (good for anything in the shop)! A new Deal of the Week will be announced each Monday morning and can be purchased starting at 10 AM each Thursday, for more details check back often at the WNRV DollarSaver site.
- Each Saturday in May we'll be selecting an Athlete of the Week from both Narrows and Giles high schools. This is sponsored by Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, we'll announce the winner at 9:45 AM each Saturday during the Speaking of Sports show. Congratulations to the May 16 winners: Kelcie Lowe from Narrows and Dillon Graham from Giles! They'll receive a $25 gift certificate from Nagel's and an award certificate from WNRV. All the winners are listed (with photo) on the Athlete of the Week page. Here are the program rules.
- Sugar Run will be live in the studio on Saturday May 16 3-4 PM on the New River Valley Jamboree.
- We'll had an extended edition of the Speaking of Sports show on-site at Kid's Fishing Day on Saturday May 16 at 9 AM.
- We'll be taking the Speaking of Sports show on the road this Spring and Summer! We broadcast the show live 9-10 AM May 2 from the grand opening of the Pearisburg Community Market. We'll be out at the Market with the show one Saturday each month through October: May 2, June 20, July 18, August 15, September 19, and October 17. We'll also be out at Narrows Park for Kid's Fishing Day on May 16 and the Narrows Homecoming Festival on July 4.
- We'll also be out at the Pearisburg Community Market for their Music at the Markets on the third Thursday May-October. We'll be doing some kids interviews 4:30-5:30 PM and then recording the great music 6-8 PM. The music will be kicked off by Hans Creek String Band on May 21.
- Upcoming New River Valley Jamboree shows, they'll be live in the studio: Old Man Kelly on April 4, Blue Connection on April 11, the Full Nelsons on April 25, Sugar Run on May 16, and Delnora Reed on June 20.
- We ended the basketball season with live coverage of the Narrows-Giles Faculty game on March 27 (rescheduled from March 6). We also had the Giles Senior-Faculty basketball game on March 13. Catch all the exciting local sports action at 990 AM, our live stream, and PemTel channel 2.
- The 13th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention will be June 12-13 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport. We'll be on-site the entire time recording all the music and bringing some of it to you live. Come join us in Newport for a weekend of music and fun at the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention!
- Giles Mountain String Band was on the New River Valley Jamboree 3-4 PM on February 28.
- We covered 30 regular season basketball games, plus these 5 playoff games: Giles-James River girls conference quarterfinal playoff on February 20, Narrows-Eastern Montgomery girls conference quarterfinal on February 23, Narrows-Bland girls conference semifinal on February 24, Narrows-Radford girls conference final on February 27, and Narrows-Twin Valley girls region quarterfinal game on March 2. Here is the complete 2014 season schedule.
- The Little Stony Nighthawks were live in the WNRV studio for the New River Valley Jamboree 3-4 PM on Saturday February 28.
- Sharon Stacy was live in the WNRV studio for the New River Valley Jamboree February 4.
- Indian Run Stringband was live in the WNRV studio for the New River Valley Jamboree 3-4 PM on Saturday January 24. Tim Pak was live on the Jamboree on January 17.
- Live bands in the studio on the New River Valley Jamboree show in 2015, which airs 3-4 PM each Saturday: January 10 Ridgeliners, January 17 Tim Pak, January 24 Indian Run Stringband, February 7 Sharon Stacy, February 28 Little Stony Nighthawks, March 28 Blue Connection, and April 4 Old Man Kelly.
- We had some special guests in the studio on December 30 at 11 AM for a live interview. Christina Martin from Eastern Elementary and Rick Claus from NanoSonic discussing the Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) program in the Giles County schools.
- Previous WNRV DollarSaver Deals of the Week (some still have a few certificates left): Wedgee's Printing and Embroidery in Peterstown, Moda Designs in Pembroke, Trent's Service Station in Narrows, Hometown Restaurant in Peterstown, Hair Doctors in Peterstown, Auto Specialty Care in Narrows, Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, New Kimono Japanese Seafood and Steakhouse in Princeton, A Taste of Memphis BBQ in Princeton, Papa's Pizzeria and Subs in Pearisburg, Danny's Pawn Shop in Christiansburg, the Cellar Restaurant in Blacksburg, Pearl's Petals Flower and Gift in Pembroke, and Queen's Pizza and Subs in Pearisburg.
- We had complete live coverage of the 2014 Narrows Athletic Fund Christmas Basketball Tournament on December 18-10: 8 games over 3 days. Here is the full schedule.
- Our 2014 Giles and Narrows Football Disc is available. This contains our broadcasts of all the Giles and Narrows varsity games, including playoffs, plus the Middle School and JV games between Giles and Narrows. This is a bargain at only $8, contact us to get your copy today.
- The WNRV float participated in the Pembroke, Pearisburg, and Narrows Christmas parades. We won first place in Pembroke!
- We covered every 2014 regular season varsity football game for Narrows and Giles, including the Giles playoff games and the Narrows-Giles 7th/8th Grade and JV games. One game was live each week with the other game recorded and aired the following Saturday. Here is the complete 2014 football schedule.
- On Thursday October 16 we were out at the Grand Opening for Celco Community Credit Union's Pembroke branch. Our live broadcast included 2 interviews.
- WNRV is now available on PemTel channel 2! We're excited about our new partnership with PemTel, this provides PemTel cable subscribers with yet another way to catch all the great music and local sports action on WNRV.