Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 62nd anniversary on August 24, 2015! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 62 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party in 2013 to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- We'll finish out the regular season this week with 1 live and 1 recorded game: Rural Retreat at Narrows boys will be live at 7 PM on Friday February 12. The Auburn at Giles boys game on Friday will be recorded, this was moved from Wednesday due to school closing. The Giles game will be aired at 10 AM on Saturday, followed by a rebroadcast of the Narrows game. Check out the complete 2015 schedule. Catch all the exciting local sports action at 990 AM, our live stream, and PemTel channel 2.
- Our 2015 Football Disc is now available. This special disc contains all varsity games for both Giles and Narrows, including playoff games, plus a bonus interview with former Giles Coach Steve Ragsdale. It makes a great gift for sports fans of all ages, contact us to get your copy in time for Christmas!.
- Our DollarSaver program brings you weekly deals from local businesses with a 50% discount. This week's Half-Price Deal of the Week is Trent's Service Station in Narrows: a $39.50 oil change certificate for only $19.50! This deal will go on sale 10 AM Thursday morning, for more details check back often at the WNRV DollarSaver site. All certificates are good for up to 1 year and make great gifts.
- We started off our 2016 sports coverage with these live games: Narrows-Giles girls January 4, Giles-Auburn girls January 7, Narrows-Montcalm boys January 13, Giles-Glenvar boys January 15, Narrows-Auburn boys January 18, Narrows-Radford girls January 19, and Giles-Martinsville doubleheader on Friday January 29, and Narrows-Grayson County girls on February 3.
- It's time for basketball! Our 2015 basketball coverage started off with live broadcasts of 3 cross-county rivalry games: Narrows @ Giles girls December 3, Giles @ Narrows boys December 4, and Narrows @ Giles boys December 11. Plus we did the entire Narrows Athletic Fund Christmas Tournament December 17-19.
- We covered every regular season varsity Narrows and Giles football game for the 2015 season, plus the Narrows-Galax, Giles-Ridgeview, and Giles-Glenvar playoff games. Here is the complete 2015 schedule.
- We took the Speaking of Sports show on the road this Spring through Fall! We were out at the Pearisburg Community Market with the show one Saturday each month May through October: May 2, June 20, July 18, August 15, September 26, and October 17. We broadcast the show live from the Narrows Park for Kid's Fishing Day on May 16 and the Narrows Homecoming Festival on July 4.
- We were also out at the Pearisburg Community Market for their Music at the Market on the third Thursday May-October. We did some kids interviews 4:30-5:30 PM and then recorded the live music 6-8 PM. For October, Dean Reed's Feed & Seed provided some great classic country and old-time fiddle tunes on the 15th.
- We were on-site at the Smith's Super-Aid Pharmacy 10 Year Celebration on July 31. We played some tunes for the crowd and did a live interview.
- The 13th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention was June 12-13 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport. We were on-site the entire time recording all the music and brought most of it to you live. It was a weekend of great music and fun in Newport!
- Each Saturday in May we selected an Athlete of the Week from both Narrows and Giles high schools. This was sponsored by Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, we announced the winner at 9:45 AM each Saturday during the Speaking of Sports show. They received a $25 gift certificate from Nagel's and an award certificate from WNRV. All the winners are listed (with photo) on the Athlete of the Week page. Here are the program rules.
- We had these New River Valley Jamboree live-in-studio shows so far in 2015 (Saturdays 3-4 PM): Ridgeliners (January 10), Tim Pak (January 17), Indian Run Stringband (January 24), Sharon Stacy (February 4), Little Stony Nighthawks (February 28), Giles Mountain String Band (February 28), Old Man Kelly (April 4), Blue Connection (April 11), the Full Nelsons (April 25), and Sugar Run (May 16).
- Previous WNRV DollarSaver Deals of the Week (some still have a few certificates left): Wedgee's Printing and Embroidery in Peterstown, Moda Designs in Pembroke, Trent's Service Station in Narrows, Hometown Restaurant in Peterstown, Hair Doctors in Peterstown, Auto Specialty Care in Narrows, Nagel's Downtown Grille in Pearisburg, New Kimono Japanese Seafood and Steakhouse in Princeton, A Taste of Memphis BBQ in Princeton, Papa's Pizzeria and Subs in Pearisburg, Danny's Pawn Shop in Christiansburg, the Cellar Restaurant in Blacksburg, Pearl's Petals Flower and Gift in Pembroke, Queen's Pizza and Subs in Pearisburg, and CastleRock Golf Course in Pembroke.