Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
The special WNRV disc that contains all of the recordings for the 2013 Spartan and Green Wave Varsity football games, including the playoffs and championship game, is now available. This year's disc has special bonus coverage of the Narrows vs Giles 7th/8th and JV games. This exclusive disc is available for only $8 and is a great gift. Here is more info on the 2013 football disc, contact us to reserve your copy today!
WNRV's 60th Birthday party was held on Saturday September 21 3-8 PM at the Old Virginia Smokehouse in Pembroke. Here are the birthday party details. August 24, 2013 was the 60th anniversary of the original WNRV broadcast license! 60 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- The Narrows-Giles Faculty basketball game will be broadcast live on Friday March 7 at 6 PM (this was originally listed as 7 PM). This game will be replayed on Saturday starting at 10 AM following our Speaking of Sports show. Listen to great local sports at AM 990 or the live stream.
- The New River Valley Jamboree will have Sugar Run live in the WNRV studio on Saturday March 8. Tune in the Jamboree each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- Kilby Spencer & Echoes of the Blue Ridge were live in the WNRV studio on Saturday March 1 for the New River Valley Jamboree.
- We had a live broadcast of the always entertaining Giles Seniors vs Faculty basketball game on Friday February 28.
- We had live coverage of 31 Narrows and Giles basketball games for the 2013 season, which included 5 playoff games and the entire Narrows Athletic Fund Annual Christmas Basketball Tournament, plus the Giles Seniors-Faculty and Narrows-Giles Faculty games. Most games were replayed on the following Saturday starting at 10 AM after our Speaking of Sports show. Here is the 2013 basketball coverage schedule.
- The New River Valley Jamboree show has hosted these bands live in the WNRV studio so far in 2014: Indian Run Stringband (January 18 ), Black Twig Pickers (January 25), Giles Mountain String Band (February 8), the Ridgeliners (February 15), and Echoes of the Blue Ridge (March 1). Tune in the Jamboree each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- The Giles football team captains were our special guests on the Speaking of Sports show Saturday December 21 9-10 AM. We reviewed last week's amazing overtime victory in the state championship. This show is available for download here, this page also has our calls for the tying Giles touchdown and the missed Brunswick extra point in overtime.
- The WNRV float was out again this year in area Christmas parades: Pearisburg (December 1), Narrows (December 2), Rich Creek (December 5), and Pembroke (December 7).
- We had live coverage of all the 2013 Narrows and Giles regular season varsity football games, with each game rebroadcast on the following Saturday. We continued our live coverage through all 5 of the Giles playoff games on their march to winning the 2A State Championship. Bonus live coverage of the 7th/8th and JV games between Narrows and Giles was provided again this year. The special 2013 football disc with all the Giles and Narrows varsity football broadcasts, including all playoff games, is available. Here is the complete 2013 football schedule.
- We celebrated the 60th anniversary of WNRV being on the air with a party on Saturday September 21 at the Old Virginia Smokehouse. We had 3 live bands, free food, and prize giveaways. Here are more details. Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate!
- On September 17 we had an on-air interview in the WNRV studio with L.B. Day (Habitat for Humanity) and Forest Fowler (Giles County Technical Center) to discuss their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. Here is the full interview.
- Our Speaking of Sports show was live on-site again this year at the 2013 Rich Creek Autumnfest on Saturday September 7. We were set up there all day and did an interview. Thanks to all the folks that stopped by and said howdy!
- WNRV had complete on-site coverage for the 11th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention on June 14-15. We broadcast 13 hours live - all the featured bands live on Friday night and the individual and band competitions on Saturday. We featured some festival recordings on several shows for the Mountain Music Show and New River Valley Jamboree.
- Our dedication to bluegrass and old-time was mentioned in a March 22 article at Inside Radio.
- In 2013 we had these live in-studio performances for the New River Valley Jamboree show (plus recording music at other places): Bill Richardson and Dean Reed, Black Twig Pickers, Bluegrass Travelers, Dean Reed's Feed & Seed, Delnora Reed, Jimmy Costa, Happy Hollow String Band, Indian Run Stringband, the Ridgeliners, Sharon Stacy, and Sugar Run. The New River Valley Jamboree brings you great local live music each Saturday 3-4 PM. Tune in for great local live music at AM 990 or the live stream.