Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 61st anniversary on August 24, 2014! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 61 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party last year to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- Our DollarSaver program brings you weekly deals from local businesses with a 50% discount. This week's Deal of the Week is a half-price certificate from New Kimono Japanese Seafood & Steak House in Princeton: a $25 certificate is only $12.50 and can be used for anything on the menu! A new Deal of the Week will be announced each Monday morning and can be purchased starting at 10 AM each Thursday, for more details check back often at the WNRV DollarSaver site.
- This week we'll have 4 live games: Giles-James River girls on Monday January 26 (7 PM), Narrows-Graham boys on Tuesday January 29 (7:30 PM), Narrows-Graham girls on Wednesday January 30 (7:30 PM), and Giles-Eastern Montgomery on Friday January 30 (7 PM). Catch all the exciting local sports action at 990 AM, our live stream, and PemTel channel 2.
- Sharon Stacy will be live in the WNRV studio for the New River Valley Jamboree 3-4 PM on Saturday February 4.
- We continued our live basketball coverage with Narrows-Giles girls on Monday January 19 and Giles-Auburn boys on January 22 . The Narrows-Bland games on January 23 were canceled due to the weather.
- Indian Run Stringband was live in the WNRV studio for the New River Valley Jamboree 3-4 PM on Saturday January 24. Tim Pak was live on the Jamboree on January 17.
- We had live broadcasts of the Narrows-Giles boys on January 12 and the Giles-Floyd County girls on January 15.
- We had 3 live basketball games to start off our sports New Year: Giles-Glenvar girls on January 8 and a Narrows-Fort Chiswell doubleheader with both the girls and boys on January 9. .
- Live bands in the studio on the New River Valley Jamboree show, which airs 3-4 PM each Saturday: January 10 Ridgeliners, January 17 Tim Pak, January 24 Indian Run Stringband, February 7 Sharon Stacy, February 21 Giles Mountain String Band, February 28 Little Stony Nighthawks, March 28 Blue Connection, and April 4 Old Man Kelly.
- We had some special guests in the studio on December 30 at 11 AM for a live interview. Christina Martin from Eastern Elementary and Rick Claus from NanoSonic discussing the Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) program in the Giles County schools.
- Previous WNRV DollarSaver Deals of the Week (some still have a few certificates left): Wedgee's Printing and Embroidery in Peterstown, Moda Designs in Pembroke, Trent's Service Station in Narrows, Hometown Restaurant in Peterstown, Hair Doctors in Peterstown, Auto Specialty Care in Narrows, and Mike'ds Pizza in Peterstown.
- We had complete live coverage of the 2014 Narrows Athletic Fund Christmas Basketball Tournament on December 18-10: 8 games over 3 days. Here is the full schedule.
- Our 2014 Giles and Narrows Football Disc is available. This contains our broadcasts of all the Giles and Narrows varsity games, including playoffs, plus the Middle School and JV games between Giles and Narrows. This is a bargain at only $8, contact us to get your copy today.
- We started our 2014 basketball coverage with the 2 cross-county rivalry games on December 12. We broadcast the Narrows @ Giles boys game live and recorded the Giles @ Narrows girls. Both games were then replayed on the following Saturday at 10 AM following our Speaking of Sports show.
- The WNRV float participated in the Pembroke, Pearisburg, and Narrows Christmas parades. We won first place in Pembroke!
- We covered every 2014 regular season varsity football game for Narrows and Giles, including the Giles playoff games and the Narrows-Giles 7th/8th Grade and JV games. One game was live each week with the other game recorded and aired the following Saturday. Here is the complete 2014 football schedule.
- On Thursday October 16 we were out at the Grand Opening for Celco Community Credit Union's Pembroke branch. Our live broadcast included 2 interviews.
- WNRV is now available on PemTel channel 2! We're excited about our new partnership with PemTel, this provides PemTel cable subscribers with yet another way to catch all the great music and local sports action on WNRV.
- The 2014 Mountain Music Shows have been updated in the Archives, the January-August shows are now available for free download.
- We had a great time out at the New Castle Bluegrass Festival on Saturday August 23. We had our booth set up all day enjoying all the good tunes in a beautiful location along Jefferson National Forest, thanks to everyone that stopped by.
- We were on-site at Tractor Supply Company in Pearisburg 11 AM - 4 PM on Saturday July 12 for their Horse Health & Feed Event. They had a variety of horse-related activities, we played tunes for the crowd and had a live interview.
- The Speaking of Sports show was on the road on Saturday July 5, we broadcast it live on-site 9-10 AM from Narrows Park at the 64th Annual Narrows Homecoming Festival.
- The 12th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention was June 13-14 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport (it has been moved from Glen Lyn). We were of course on-site the entire time recording all the music from the festival and bringing some of it to you live. Thanks to all that joined us in Newport for a weekend of music and fun at the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention! The complete list of winners is now available. Our schedule for playing the recordings is here in Terry's blog.
- Anthony Woodward from the Relay for Life of Giles County was the studio to record a PSA for their June 27 event.
- On Saturday May 31 we were up at the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree & Children’s Tea Party 2 - 5 PM recording all the great live music. We'll bring you this music on some future New River Valley Jamboree and Mountain Music Shows.
- L.B. Day from Habitat for Humanity and 2 students from the Giles County Technical Center were our guests in the WNRV studio on May 14. They discussed the status of their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. This is a follow-up to a September 2013 interview. Here is the interview. L.B. recorded a PSA in February 2014.
- Narrows Cub Scout Pack 68 was our special guest at the station on Tuesday May 6, we helped them work toward a merit badge. This is an annual tradition, they were given a tour and we recorded some interviews that we made into a set of (always entertaining) public service announcements.
- A special extended Speaking of Sports show was broadcast live on-site from the 2014 Kids Fishing Day in Narrows on May 10 9:00-10:30 AM. This was be the 7th consecutive year we've broadcast live from there.