Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We will have available a special WNRV disc that contains all of the recordings for the 2013 Spartan and Green Wave Varsity football games, including the playoffs. This year's disc has special bonus coverage of the Narrows vs Giles 7th/8th and JV games. This exclusive disc is available for only $8 and is a great gift. Here is more info on the 2013 football disc, contact us to reserve your copy today!
WNRV's 60th Birthday party was held on Saturday September 21 3-8 PM at the Old Virginia Smokehouse in Pembroke. Here are the birthday party details. August 24, 2013 was the 60th anniversary of the original WNRV broadcast license! 60 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- The Narrows Athletic Fund Annual Christmas Basketball Tournament will be covered live on-site in it's entirety again this year. Thursday December 12 is the opening round for the girls and Friday December 13 is the opening round for the boys (6 PM start both days). The final day has been moved to December 21 due to the Giles-Brunswick game. Here are the tournament details.
- We'll have a live broadcast of the Giles-Brunswick Division 2A State Championship football game on Saturday December 14 at 4:30 PM. Tune in for great local sports at AM 990 or the live stream. At the end of the season we'll have a special 2013 football disc available with all the game broadcasts. Here is the complete 2013 football schedule.
- The WNRV float was out again this year in area Christmas parades: Pearisburg (December 1), Narrows (December 2), Rich Creek (December 5), and Pembroke (December 7).
- The State Semifinal game between Giles and Riverheads was broadcast live on Saturday December 7 at 2 PM. Our Speaking of Sports show was done on-site from the Giles pressbox on game day. This game will be rebroadcast following the December 14 Speaking of Sports Show at 10 AM.
- The 2013 basketball season started with a live broadcast of the 1st cross-county rivalry basketball game - Giles-Narrows girls on Thursday December 5. This game will be replayed on Saturday December 7 at 10 AM.
- We had live coverage of the 3rd round playoff game between Giles and Richlands on November 29 and then replayed it on Saturday.
- The 2nd round playoff game between Giles and Appomattox County was broadcast live on Friday November 22 and then replayed it on Saturday.
- We had a live broadcast of the 1st round playoff game between Giles and Grayson County on Friday November 15 and then replayed it on Saturday.
- We had live coverage of all the 2013 Narrows and Giles regular season varsity football games, with each game rebroadcast on the following Saturday. There was also bonus live coverage of the 7th/8th and JV games between Narrows and Giles. Here is the complete 2013 football schedule. We'll of course have live coverage of all the playoff games.
- We celebrated the 60th anniversary of WNRV being on the air with a party on Saturday September 21 at the Old Virginia Smokehouse. We had 3 live bands, free food, and prize giveaways. Here are more details. Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate!
- On September 17 we had an on-air interview in the WNRV studio with L.B. Day (Habitat for Humanity) and Forest Fowler (Giles County Technical Center) to discuss their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. Here is the full interview.
- Our Speaking of Sports show was live on-site again this year at the 2013 Rich Creek Autumnfest on Saturday September 7. We were set up there all day and did an interview. Thanks to all the folks that stopped by and said howdy!
- We had a live broadcast of the July 26 Narrows-Bland Alumni football game (aka the War on Wolf Creek) and replayed it the next day.
- The Bluegrass Travelers were live in the WNRV studio July 20 3-4 PM for the New River Valley Jamboree show. Tune in for great local live music at AM 990 or the live stream.
- We were out at the 2013 Summer Cruise In at Tractor Supply Company in Pearisburg on Saturday July 6 11 AM - 3 PM. We played music for the crowd, did a few interviews, and enjoyed checking out all the classic cars!
- WNRV had complete on-site coverage for the 11th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention on June 14-15. We broadcast 13 hours live - all the featured bands live on Friday night and the individual and band competitions on Saturday. We featured some festival recordings on several shows for the Mountain Music Show and New River Valley Jamboree.
- We were back out at Glen Alton on May 18 for the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree and Dance. We recorded all the great music and played several sets on the Mountain Music Show and the New River Valley Jamboree. You can check out music and videos from last fall at Glen Alton in our Archives.
- Our dedication to bluegrass and old-time was mentioned in a March 22 article at Inside Radio.
- So far in 2013 we've had these live in-studio performances for the New River Valley Jamboree show: Bill Richardson and Dean Reed, the Bluegrass Travelers, Delnora Reed, Indian Run Stringband, the Ridgeliners, and Sugar Run. The New River Valley Jamboree brings you great local live music each Saturday 3-4 PM. Tune in for great local live music at AM 990 or the live stream.
- We've been out in the community doing our Speaking of Sports show live for a variety of community events in 2013 (with live interviews): Kids Fishing Day on April 27 and Little League Baseball Opening Day on May 4. Speaking of Sports is our weekly local live sports show on Saturdays at 9 AM.
- The much anticipated Giles-James Monroe Alumni football game (aka the Battle of the State Lines) on Saturday April 20 was broadcast live on WNRV (rebroadcast on Saturday April 17). A special disc is now available for this game.