Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 61st anniversary on August 24, 2014! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 61 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party last year to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- Our new DollarSaver program brings you weekly deals from local businesses with a 50% discount. This week's Deal of the Week is a half-price certificate from Hometown Restaurant in Peterstown: a $25 certificate for only $12.50 (good for anything on the menu)! These make great gifts. A new Deal of the Week will be announced each Monday morning and can be purchased starting at 10 AM each Thursday, for more details check back often at the WNRV DollarSaver site.
- We'll have complete live coverage of the 2014 Narrows Athletic Fund Christmas Basketball Tournament on Thursday December 18 - Saturday December 20. They'll be 2 games on Thursday and Friday, and 4 games on Saturday. Here is the full schedule. Catch all the exciting local sports action at 990 AM, our live stream, and PemTel channel 2.
- Our 2014 Giles and Narrows Football Disc is now available. This contains our broadcasts of all the Giles and Narrows varsity games, including playoffs, plus the Middle School and JV games between Giles and Narrows. This is a bargain at only $8, contact us to get your copy today.
- We started our 2014 basketball coverage with the 2 cross-county rivalry games on December 12. We broadcast the Narrows @ Giles boys game live and recorded the Giles @ Narrows girls. Both games were then replayed on the following Saturday at 10 AM following our Speaking of Sports show.
- Christmas parade season is here! Be sure to look for the WNRV float in the Pembroke (12/6), Pearisburg (12/7), and Narrows (12/8) parades - and catch some candy.
- We had a live broadcast of the Giles-Glenvar 3rd round playoff game on November 29 and also did our Speaking of Sports show from the Stephen C. Ragsdale Field press box. The game was replayed at 2 PM the following day. Here is the complete football schedule.
- The Giles-Lee 2nd round playoff game was broadcast live on Saturday November 22. Our Speaking of Sports show was done from the Stephen C. Ragsdale Field press box. The game replay will be this Sunday at 2:30 PM.
- We had live coverage of the Giles-Martinsville 1st round playoff game on November 14, and replayed the game on November 15.
- We covered every 2014 regular season varsity football game for Narrows and Giles plus the Narrows-Giles 7th/8th Grade and JV games. One game was live each week with the other game recorded and aired the following Saturday. Here is the complete 2014 football schedule.
- On Thursday October 16 we were out at the Grand Opening for Celco Community Credit Union's Pembroke branch. Our live broadcast included 2 interviews.
- WNRV is now available on PemTel channel 2! We're excited about our new partnership with PemTel, this provides PemTel cable subscribers with yet another way to catch all the great music and local sports action on WNRV.
- The 2014 Mountain Music Shows have been updated in the Archives, the January-August shows are now available for free download.
- We had a great time out at the New Castle Bluegrass Festival on Saturday August 23. We had our booth set up all day enjoying all the good tunes in a beautiful location along Jefferson National Forest, thanks to everyone that stopped by.
- The New River Valley Jamboree show has hosted these bands live in the WNRV studio so far in 2014: Black Twig Pickers, Blue Connection, Echoes of the Blue Ridge, Giles Mountain String Band, Indian Run Stringband, Jugbusters, Little Stony Nighthawks, Old Man Kelly (live remote), Poorhouse Pepsteppers, the Ridgeliners, and Sugar Run. See the Music Events page for details. Tune in the Jamboree each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- We were on-site at Tractor Supply Company in Pearisburg 11 AM - 4 PM on Saturday July 12 for their Horse Health & Feed Event. They had a variety of horse-related activities, we played tunes for the crowd and had a live interview.
- The Speaking of Sports show was on the road on Saturday July 5, we broadcast it live on-site 9-10 AM from Narrows Park at the 64th Annual Narrows Homecoming Festival.
- The 12th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention was June 13-14 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport (it has been moved from Glen Lyn). We were of course on-site the entire time recording all the music from the festival and bringing some of it to you live. Thanks to all that joined us in Newport for a weekend of music and fun at the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention! The complete list of winners is now available. Our schedule for playing the recordings is here in Terry's blog.
- Anthony Woodward from the Relay for Life of Giles County was the studio to record a PSA for their June 27 event.
- On Saturday May 31 we were up at the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree & Children’s Tea Party 2 - 5 PM recording all the great live music. We'll bring you this music on some future New River Valley Jamboree and Mountain Music Shows.
- L.B. Day from Habitat for Humanity and 2 students from the Giles County Technical Center were our guests in the WNRV studio on May 14. They discussed the status of their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. This is a follow-up to a September 2013 interview. Here is the interview. L.B. recorded a PSA in February 2014.
- Narrows Cub Scout Pack 68 was our special guest at the station on Tuesday May 6, we helped them work toward a merit badge. This is an annual tradition, they were given a tour and we recorded some interviews that we made into a set of (always entertaining) public service announcements.
- A special extended Speaking of Sports show was broadcast live on-site from the 2014 Kids Fishing Day in Narrows on May 10 9:00-10:30 AM. This was be the 7th consecutive year we've broadcast live from there.
- We had live coverage of the much anticipated Narrows-Giles Alumni Football game on May 3 (aka The County Clash). This exciting game will be replayed at 10:30 AM on Saturday May 10 following our extended Speaking of Sports show. Contact us today to reserve your copy of our special WNRV disc with our game broadcast (only $8).
- On Friday April 25 we had an interview with some students from the Virginia Tech Appalachian Studies Program. They discussed their project which investigated the cultural and economic impact of the Crooked Road in Giles and Montgomery Counties. Here is the interview.
- On April 3 we had a live in-studio interview with Ava Howard from the Newport Community Action Committee (NCAC). She discussed the exciting Newport Village Library & Museum Grand Opening on April 5. Here is the interview.