Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
We hit our 61st anniversary on August 24, 2014! Our original license was granted on that day in 1953. 61 years later we're still broadcasting out of the same building along the New River. We had a 60th party last year to celebrate our 60 year mark. Here is the history of WNRV.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events (e.g., our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Conventions). WNRV is also now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.Recent News
- We have an opening for a full-time Sales Associate, details are on our Careers page.
- This week's live game is Grayson County at Narrows on Friday October 31 at 7 PM. We'll record the Giles-Floyd game, with both games replayed on Saturday starting at 10 AM after our Speaking of Sports show. Here is the complete football schedule - tune in at 990 AM, our live stream, or on PemTel channel 2.
- We had Radford at Giles live on October 24 and recorded the Narrows-Galax game. Both games were replayed on Saturday starting at 10 AM.
- Narrows at Fort Chiswell was the live game on October 17 at 7 PM. We recorded the Giles-Eastern Montgomery game, and both games were replayed on Saturday starting at 10 AM.
- On Thursday October 16 we were out at the Grand Opening for Celco Community Credit Union's Pembroke branch. Our live broadcast included 2 interviews.
- We had the Narrows at Bland County game live on October 10 The Giles-Auburn game was recorded and both games were replayed on the following Saturday starting at 10 AM.
- The Giles at Galax football game was live on October 3, and was replayed on Saturday at 10 AM. Narrows was open.
- We had a live broadcast of Graham at Giles on September 26. The Narrows-Rural Retreat game was recorded, and both games replayed on Saturday.
- We had three live games in the Narrows-Giles County rivalry: Middle School & JV games on September 15 and the varsity game on September 19. All three games were replayed on Saturday for a special County tripleheader.
- WNRV is now available on PemTel channel 2! We're excited about our new partnership with PemTel, this provides PemTel cable subscribers with yet another way to catch all the great music and local sports action on WNRV.
- Montcalm at Narrows on September 12 was broadcast live and then replayed on Saturday at 10 AM after our Speaking of Sports show. Giles did not have a game.
- The 2014 Mountain Music Shows have been updated in the Archives, the January-August shows are now available for free download.
- On September 5 we had a live broadcast of Narrows at Eastern Montgomery and the Giles-Christiansburg game was recorded. Both games were aired on the following Saturday.
- We kicked off the 2014 high school football season with a live broadcast of Giles at Blacksburg on August 29 and recorded the Narrows at Auburn game. Both games were aired on the following Saturday.
- We had a great time out at the New Castle Bluegrass Festival on Saturday August 23. We had our booth set up all day enjoying all the good tunes in a beautiful location along Jefferson National Forest, thanks to everyone that stopped by.
- Blue Connection was live in the WNRV studio Saturday August 16 3-4 PM for the New River Valley Jamboree. Tune in at AM 990 or the live stream each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- We were on-site at Tractor Supply Company in Pearisburg 11 AM - 4 PM on Saturday July 12 for their Horse Health & Feed Event. They had a variety of horse-related activities, we played tunes for the crowd and had a live interview.
- The Speaking of Sports show was on the road on Saturday July 5, we broadcast it live on-site 9-10 AM from Narrows Park at the 64th Annual Narrows Homecoming Festival.
- On Saturday July 5 the New River Valley Jamboree had a set from the Ridgeliners that we recorded up at the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree & Children’s Tea Party (plus a few tunes from there for the Little Stoney Ridgehawks). The Jamboree brings you live music each Saturday 3-4 PM, tune in at AM 990 or the live stream.
- It's that time of year again! The 12th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention was June 13-14 at the Newport Recreation Center in Newport (it has been moved from Glen Lyn). We were of course on-site the entire time recording all the music from the festival and bringing some of it to you live. Thanks to all that joined us in Newport for a weekend of music and fun at the Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention! The complete list of winners is now available. Our schedule for playing the recordings is here in Terry's blog.
- Anthony Woodward from the Relay for Life of Giles County was the studio to record a PSA for their June 27 event.
- On Saturday May 31 we were up at the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree & Children’s Tea Party 2 - 5 PM recording all the great live music. We'll bring you this music on some future New River Valley Jamboree and Mountain Music Shows.
- L.B. Day from Habitat for Humanity and 2 students from the Giles County Technical Center were our guests in the WNRV studio on May 14. They discussed the status of their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. This is a follow-up to a September 2013 interview. Here is the interview. L.B. recorded a PSA in February 2014.
- Narrows Cub Scout Pack 68 was our special guest at the station on Tuesday May 6, we helped them work toward a merit badge. This is an annual tradition, they were given a tour and we recorded some interviews that we made into a set of (always entertaining) public service announcements.
- A special extended Speaking of Sports show was broadcast live on-site from the 2014 Kids Fishing Day in Narrows on May 10 9:00-10:30 AM. This was be the 7th consecutive year we've broadcast live from there.
- We had live coverage of the much anticipated Narrows-Giles Alumni Football game on May 3 (aka The County Clash). This exciting game will be replayed at 10:30 AM on Saturday May 10 following our extended Speaking of Sports show. Contact us today to reserve your copy of our special WNRV disc with our game broadcast (only $8).
- The Little Stony Nighthawks were live in the WNRV studio Saturday May 3 for the New River Valley Jamboree. Tune in the Jamboree each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- On Friday April 25 we had an interview with some students from the Virginia Tech Appalachian Studies Program. They discussed their project which investigated the cultural and economic impact of the Crooked Road in Giles and Montgomery Counties. Here is the interview.
- On Saturday April 19 the New River Valley Jamboree played a set from the Black Twig Pickers that we recorded at the April 5 house concert at Woolwine Schoolhouse in Blacksburg.
- The Jugbusters were live in the WNRV studio Saturday April 12 for the New River Valley Jamboree.
- The New River Valley Jamboree was on the road Saturday April 5 with a live broadcast of a set from Old Man Kelly at the historic Woolwine Schoolhouse in Blacksburg. We also taped a set from the Black Twig Pickers, which will be broadcast on a future Jamboree show.
- On April 3 we had a live in-studio interview with Ava Howard from the Newport Community Action Committee (NCAC). She discussed the exciting Newport Village Library & Museum Grand Opening on April 5. Here is the interview.
- The Poorhouse Pepsteppers were live in the WNRV studio on Saturday March 22 for the New River Valley Jamboree.
- The New River Valley Jamboree had Sugar Run live in the WNRV studio on Saturday March 8.
- The Narrows-Giles Faculty basketball game was broadcast live on Friday March 7 at 6 PM. This game was replayed on Saturday starting at 10 AM following our Speaking of Sports show. Listen to great local sports at AM 990 or the live stream.
- Kilby Spencer & Echoes of the Blue Ridge were live in the WNRV studio on Saturday March 1 for the New River Valley Jamboree.
- We had live coverage of 31 Narrows and Giles basketball games for the 2013 season, which included 5 playoff games and the entire Narrows Athletic Fund Annual Christmas Basketball Tournament, plus the Giles Seniors-Faculty and Narrows-Giles Faculty games. Most games were replayed on the following Saturday starting at 10 AM after our Speaking of Sports show. Here is the 2013 basketball coverage schedule.
- The New River Valley Jamboree show has hosted these bands live in the WNRV studio so far in 2014: Black Twig Pickers, Echoes of the Blue Ridge, Giles Mountain String Band, Indian Run Stringband, Jugbusters, Little Stony Nighthawks, Old Man Kelly (live remote), Poorhouse Pepsteppers, the Ridgeliners, and Sugar Run. Tune in the Jamboree each Saturday 3-4 PM for great local live music.
- The Giles football team captains were our special guests on the Speaking of Sports show Saturday December 21 9-10 AM. We reviewed their exciting overtime victory in the state championship. This show is available for download here, this page also has our calls for the tying Giles touchdown and the missed Brunswick extra point in overtime.
- The WNRV float was out again this year in area Christmas parades: Pearisburg (December 1), Narrows (December 2), Rich Creek (December 5), and Pembroke (December 7).
- We had live coverage of all the 2013 Narrows and Giles regular season varsity football games, with each game rebroadcast on the following Saturday. We continued our live coverage through all 5 of the Giles playoff games on their march to winning the 2A State Championship. Bonus live coverage of the 7th/8th and JV games between Narrows and Giles was provided again this year. The special 2013 football disc with all the Giles and Narrows varsity football broadcasts, including all playoff games, is available. Here is the complete 2013 football schedule.
- We celebrated the 60th anniversary of WNRV being on the air with a party September 21 2013 at the Old Virginia Smokehouse. We had 3 live bands, free food, and prize giveaways. Here are more details. Thanks to everyone who helped us celebrate!
- On September 17 2013 we had an on-air interview in the WNRV studio with L.B. Day (Habitat for Humanity) and Forest Fowler (Giles County Technical Center) to discuss their cooperative project to build a Habitat for Humanity home in Narrows. Here is the interview.