Broadcasting from the bank of the scenic New River, WNRV AM 990 The Ridge plays the best in traditional and current bluegrass and old-time music. Our 5 KW station is located along the New River in Giles County between Narrows and Pearisburg, VA.
WNRV's mission is to preserve the traditions of bluegrass and old-time music for future generations. The New River Valley region has played an important role in the history and development of music, and WNRV has a deep and rich history in the local community. We are an active partner in the community, and continue to promote both the music and local events. Our team is locally based and has strong ties to the community, find out more information about the station and team.
We have a WNRV YouTube channel where we're posting videos of live shows and other events. Some videos from our New River Valley Jamboree shows and the 10th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention are now available there.
WNRV is now on Twitter! Follow @WNRVam990 to get timely updates on the latest happenings for the station.
We now have available a special WNRV disc that contains the April 2013 alumni football game between Giles and James Monroe. This exclusive disc is available for only $10, here are more details on this special offer.Recent News
- WNRV had complete on-site coverage for the 11th Annual Henry Reed Memorial Fiddlers Convention on June 14-15. We broadcast 13 hours live - all the featured bands live on Friday night and the individual and band competitions on Saturday. We'll be featuring some festival recordings over the next few weeks on the Mountain Music Show and New River Valley Jamboree.
- Our dedication to bluegrass and old-time was mentioned in a March 22 article at Inside Radio.
- The New River Valley Jamboree will have in-studio live sets for the first 2 weeks in June: Bluegrass Travelers on June 1 and Delnora on June 8. The New River Valley Jamboree brings you great local live music each Saturday 3-4 PM. Tune in for great local live music at AM 990 or the live stream.
- We were back out at Glen Alton on May 18 for the Glen Alton Spring Jamboree and Dance. We recorded all the great music and will be playing it on the Mountain Music Show and the New River Valley Jamboree. You can check out music and videos from last fall at Glen Alton in our Archives.
- So far in 2013 we've had these live in-studio performances for the New River Valley Jamboree show (Saturdays 3-4 PM): Ridgeliners on February 23, Bluegrass Travelers on May 2, Bluegrass Travelers on April 6, Indian Run Stringband on April 20, and Bill Richardson and Dean Reed on April 27.
- We've been out in the community doing our Speaking of Sports show live for a variety of community events in 2013 (with live interviews): Kids Fishing Day on April 27 and Little League Baseball Opening Day on May 4. Speaking of Sports is our weekly local live sports show on Saturdays at 9 AM.
- The much anticipated Giles-James Monroe Alumni football game (aka the Battle of the State Lines) on Saturday April 20 was broadcast live on WNRV( rebroadcast on Saturday April 17). A special disc is now available for this game.
- We covered 29 Narrows and Giles varsity basketball games for the 2012 season, including the entire Narrows Athletic Fund Annual Christmas Basketball Tournament, Narrows-Giles Faculty game, and Giles Senior-Facultyy game. Here is the complete schedule. Catch the best in local sports at AM 990 or the live stream.
- From November 2011 through January 2013 we recorded our Saturday New River Valley Jamboree show at the Old Virginia Smokehouse Pearisburg location. The bands included the Black Twig Pickers, Bluegrass Travelers, Conner & Miller (with Dick Smith), Delnora Reed, Giles Mountain String Band, Indian Run Stringband, Jimmy Costa, Joe "Bud" Dowdy, Joe "Bud" Dowdy Trio, the Poorhouse Pepsteppers, Roscoe P and Coal Train, and Sugar Run. Check the Music Events page and Music Forum for details.
- We covered every Narrows and Giles varsity football game for the 2012 season, including the Giles-James River and Giles-John Battle playoff games. We also covered the Narrows-Giles 8th Grade and JV games. Here is the complete 2012 football schedule. We'll soon be broadcasting live basketball games for both schools.
- We had special bonus playoff coverage with live broadcasts of the Giles girls state volleyball playoff matches: Giles-Central (Wise) quarterfinal on November 13 and Giles-Stuarts Draft semifinal on November 16. The semifinal match was replayed on the air on November 17.